“Eighty-one percent of jobs in the U.S are filled either via an internal move or through some networking activity.”
– Lou Adler, Hiring Consultant
Grow a Network
Did you know?
Many college students are struggling to find jobs because they haven’t taken the proper steps to develop their careers while in college. In his book, The Start-Up of You, Reid Hoffman, LinkedIn co-founder, suggests that to succeed in today’s work world- it takes a network. Hoffman emphasizes how much relationships matter to a person’s career. He encourages his readers to reach out and connect to others as they develop their personal and professional networks. Students can start with these free LinkedIn resources to market themselves online and actively network offline to secure the jobs they seek. Get your students thinking about growing their networks with these additional social media tools and this activity.
- Question students about how they are marketing themselves to find jobs.
- View video.
- Distribute Student Activity, discuss directions and complete. Now available as an electronic, fillable pdf allowing students to download, complete and return to you via email.)
- Discuss students’ ideas on growing their networks.
- List things students can begin doing now to market themselves.
Add an Experience!
For more ideas on developing a network, invite students to stop by the CACareerCafe.Com and complete the Experience Lessons. Encourage students to download a 9-page summary of The Start-Up of You right here. Finally, suggest students take steps to add several people to their networks within the month.